We are continually gaining new understanding on the phenomenon of poverty, both worldwide and locally. Read on to learn more!
Poverty and Family
Do we need to rethink our perceptions and policies on family and parenting in order to protect and lift up those who are disadvantaged and vulnerable?
- Commentary: ‘Super mums’ have one simple request.
- Families’ commitment, courage to become self-reliant critical
- Tackling poverty requires active listening
- Let’s talk about meeting needs, not just equality of opportunities
- What does it mean to be “pro-family”?
- Support for single parents will strengthen our society
- Differentiated Deservedness: Governance through Familialist Social Policies (journal article)
- Not everyone has ‘maids’ (journal article)
- Why low-income parents may make ‘poor choices’
- When families lead themselves out of poverty
Perceptions of Poverty
Understand the myths, imaginations and assumptions about poverty, wealth and welfare and their implications on policy.
- Campaign aims to highlight living spaces of Singapore’s poor through pictures
- There is no poverty in Singapore because I am not poor
- No-win choices for the poor when resources are limited
- This is what the face of poverty looks like
- Guard against gig economy creating permanent underclass
- Mindsets must change to help the poor…but whose?
- Poor People Don’t Like Oats Either
- What does it mean to be poor in Singapore?
- Interrogating the Limits of Welfare Reform in Singapore (journal article)
Poverty and Inequality
The issue of poverty goes hand in hand with inequality, making it not an issue for ‘them’, but one for all of us.
- Commentary: Many ways to make a house a home but no easy fixes to housing vulnerable families
- Social workers also tackle structural conditions that lead to poverty
- Let’s talk about poverty and inequality today
- When thinking poverty, also think inequality
- Speak about inequality, not just inclusion
- Vignettes of poverty versus stories of inequality (journal article)
- Escaping Poverty Requires Almost 20 Years With Nearly Nothing Going Wrong
Research on Poverty
The evidence from research gives advocacy a stronger voice.
- Definitions and Measurements of Poverty
- Many social workers unclear about social spending, poll finds
- Getting to the nub of homelessness
- 180 Found Sleeping On Streets
- Not all who sleep outside are jobless or homeless
- Easing Impact of Poverty
- Working with Low Income Families in Singapore (Social Service Research Centre Conference Proceedings)